A gateway tourist attraction, the Aquatarium is a 27,000 square foot aquarium and discovery centre in the city of the 1000 islands.
The Aquatarium's mission is to cultivate awareness and appreciation of the beautiful and historically rich 1000 Islands region by inspiring curiosity and critical thinking while offering engaging and entertaining adventures.
The Aquatarium knew that to create a self guided visitor experience, they needed interactive kiosks to help educate visitors about each exhibit and the many attractions found in the 1000 Islands region. Learn about the St. Lawrence River and the 1000 Islands, then go out and explore the region through the many RiverQuest partner attractions.
Each interactive kiosk and its contents would need to be equally fun for kids from 5 to 85. It would have to serve as a way-finding guide and educational tool, capture key user experience insights, and serve as a marketing tool for Aquatarium products, services, and promotions. All while directing visitors to over 100 RiverQuest partner locations. This was a tall order indeed.
Working in collaboration with the Aquatarium’s director of education, INSTANTEDGE planned, designed and developed an interactive way-finding kiosk application that would rely on the fundamentals of education base marketing and leverage digital technology to its fullest.
How it Works
Plan the Work
When implemented, the solution would not only enable the Aquatarium marketing, education, and visitor experience staff to deliver on key business requirements, it would gather intelligence on user experience to inform key stakeholders and support for continuous improvement.
Do the Work
Design and Development
Following a full discovery session and gathering of business requirements, INSTANTEDGE designed and developed 10 unique exhibit focused interactive kiosk experiences that are managed from one simple to use, single source administration tool.
Deliver the Work
Implementation and Testing
- Animated Interactive touch screen experience
- Kid friendly navigation for ease of user experience
- Full motion video of the region
- Downloadable content such as infographics
- Exhibit specific educational content based on visitor preferences
- Animated Explainer video that appeal to children and adults alike
- Exhibit specific RiverQuest partner banner ads with links to full page ads
- QR codes for sign up and download special offers and content
- Backend analytics that capture data for intelligence gathering
- Easy to use CMS for self administration and management
The Aquatarium now has 10 touch screen based interactive, education based marketing kiosks that meets all key business requirements including self guided visitor experience and engagement. This major initiative was delivered, on time, on budget, and exceeded all client expectations.